sewing fool

14 July 2005

Adding balance with a kntting project

I thought that I needed something to do whilst at the laundromat earlier today, so I liberated the previously-mentioned turquoise crochet thread from the stash with the intention of turning it into this.

Since it's just a bag, and a casually-constructed one at that, I fudged on the needle size (I didn't have a 13, okay?), choosing to use my Big Gun, the Plymouth bamboo 16" circ in size 15. It's like trying to knit with linked Sharpies; the points aren't very pointy (great for bulky chenille, dreadfully challenging for skinny cotton thread). But I've persevered, nearly finishing the foundation rectangle ("bottom of bag"). I've knitted on it for about two hours, including a ten-row frog and time spent adding detergent and, later, liquid fabric softener to the row of washers I used. I've adjusted to the needles (I usually go for Addi Turbos; I love the way yarn slides across metal) and learned to control the thread. Now I just need to decide if it's worth finishing....

2 Comments:

  • when i checked out the bag, i immediately had visions of you stalking wild balls of yarn that roll about the city; one quick stab with your hunting needle and into the bag they go.

    By Blogger yelahneb, at 7/15/2005 3:13 PM  

  • Welcome to blogland!

    I was already on a craft-planning binge, largely because my stash, needles, machine, and everything else are in a big crate somewhere in the middle of America and I'm jonesing for them. Also, one of my oldest and dearest friends is pregnant and I long to outfit the little one in layers of cuteness. Furthermore, I'm hoping to take a crocheting class tonight.

    Then Ben told me about your new blog and that kicked off several hours of frenzied jumping from blog to blog to yarn site to free pattern site and so on. Thanks for further inspiring me and turning me on to the boozehag site. I so want to make that knit-in-the-round dress now.

    Random question - have you ever worked with bamboo or hemp yarns? I'm investigating vegan natural fiber options beyond the obvious cotton.

    By Blogger jcarwen, at 7/15/2005 5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home